Do you ever...
• hesitate or falter
• get stuck on technical obstacles
• feel unduly tense
as you play the piano?
For pianists with a holistic outlook
Imagine for a moment that conventional wisdom might actually be holding you back - what if fresh perspectives and priorities could transform your playing?
Forget frustration - find facility
For curious post-beginner pianists - don't waste precious practice time fighting an uphill battle! Progress efficiently and enjoyably.
For open-minded advanced players - eliminate excess tension, refine the minutest details of your technique, deepen self-awareness, effortlessly communicate musical structure and narrative line.
Your playground for self-discovery
Know your body through playing. Be present. Communicate directly and thrill your audiences.
“Piano Portals has given me a new sense of connection to the music I am playing, releasing me from my head
into my body, fingers and senses, so that all of my being is involved.”
Are you a radical teacher of teens to adults?
Teach technique holistically. Explore processes of deep learning which help your students to learn repertoire assuredly and enjoyably.
Rejuvenate your own playing
Hone your own playing technique still further. Reinvigorate your whole experience of playing and teaching.
Piano Portals - Technique in the Flow Zone
- Piano Portals is the only comprehensive, practical approach to technique which prioritises your deep connection to music at all stages.
- It assumes that trying to work on technique outside of a deep musical connection is of little value, since it bypasses a key physical response.
- It's a play-space for deepening self-awareness, refining technique efficiently and enjoyably and deep-learning new repertoire assuredly.
- It doubles as a mindful practice for mental relaxation and focus - and as beautiful concert repertoire.
Piano Portals is common sense - it's based on what able pianists actually do when they play brilliantly. It identifies fundamental traits neglected by conventional pedagogy.
Piano Portals treats musical Flow - and your body's response - as essential to expressive, efficient technique. It's an environment for deepening self-awareness in your Flow Zone.
Piano Portals is a stimulating subsitute for Hanon, but also so much more: it's a mindful practice, a play-space for self-discovery and a journey towards expressive, efficient coordination.
Piano Portals originated in a real-life story of frustration to facility. Read the back story of how Stephen completed years of piano studies but ended up further from his goals than when he'd set out...